So what got me started on the Encouragement Exploration was a tornado of questions that kept popping into my head. I was driving home from dropping kid #1 off at college and the radio in the rental car did not work. That gave me 8 hours with nothing but the sounds in my head. I was so overtaken with the depth yet to be explored about encouragement, that occasionally I had to pull over into a rest stop and jot down some notes.
Here is what was and is still swirling in my head.
Who do I encourage?
- People working towards a goal.
- People who need help.
- People who are in my way.
- think traffic not moving very quickly
- People in situations similar to mine
- People I have never met
- cheering for people running a marathon
- People I know and love
- Inanimate objects
- computer programs loading slowly
How do I encourage?
- Responding when asked
- Being a cheerleader
- Writing a note
- Body language
What is the response to my encouragement?
Why do I give encouragement?
- I believe in you more than you do right now.
- I want you to be liberated from your fears.
- I see hope.
- I care.
Why don’t I give more encouragement?
- Do people really want to hear what I have to say?
- What if I offer encouragement and they fail?
- I don’t see the needs around me.
- I get rejected.
The biggest question I have is why don’t we encourage more than we do? So much to be explored.